Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Mirror, Mirror, on the Wall

Therefore, good Brutus, be prepar'd to hear / And, since you know you cannot see yourself / So well as by reflection, / I, your glass, / Will modestly discover to yourself / That of yourself which you yet know not of. / And be not jealous on me, gentle Brutus: / Were I a common laugher, or did use / To stale with ordinary oaths my love / To every new protester; if you know / That I do fawn on men and hug them hard, / And after scandal them; or if you know / That I profess myself in banqueting / To all the rout, then hold me dangerous. .... Lines offered by Cassius in dialogue with Brutus, "Julius Caesar", by William Shakespeare. Cassius, the true and trustworthy, the catcher of worthy friends, the man who takes friendship seriously. Ultimately his need for friendship proves too intense, too much to the point, a mere plot leading to disloyalty and, well, danger. Aren't the two signs of such friendships that they have the nature of a conspiracy, and that they catch into their fold more than two people: The need always is for a 'clique'; anything less will not be deserving of the high standard of camaraderie and confidentiality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home